This is Part 2 of our conversation with award-winning anthropologist and TEDx Speaker Dr. Chelsea Shields. After working with clients all over the world to help them better understand how humans have evolved and what they’re socially influenced by, she has developed a theory about the five friends you need in life to contribute to your social safety net.
Ideas we discuss in this episode:
- Finding a third place outside of social media
- Code-switching and its impact on how we portray ourselves online
- Why we struggle to be fully authentic online
- Why you should utilize social media primarily for marketing
- Red flags to look out for in unhealthy communities
- Greens flags to look for in a strong, healthy, reciprocal community
- What is social capital and being on the peripheral means.
- Why you need to improve your social intelligence
- How your own mental health affects long-term relationships
- How to develop deep, authentic friendships
- Why isolating after breakups isn’t the best solution
- The importance of intergenerational friendships
- The five friends you need in life
SPONSORS + DISCOUNTS:
This episode is sponsored by BetterHelp. Give online therapy a try at betterhelp.com/ALREADYFRIENDS and get on your way to being your best self.
Nuuly - ALREADYFRIENDS20 for $20 off your first month
Watch Dr. Shields Ted Talk here.
Already Friends Socials: Instagram, TikTok
Allison's Socials: Instagram, TikTok
Ceara's Socials: Instagram, TikTok
Already Friends Patreon: $5 a Month for Bonus Episodes
Let's be friends - join the Already Friends FB Group!
To sponsor our show, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Check out HelloFresh: http://hellofresh.com
* Check out Proactiv and use my code ALREADYFRIENDS for a great deal: https://www.proactiv.com
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy